"Pasta per tutti"
is an Italian phrase that is used when you invite people into your home to enjoy an informal meal together. "Pasta for all." Now, we invite you to the table, so to speak, to share in our life experiences, travels and cuisine adventures!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Salame d'oca di Mortara

Salame d'oca di Mortara is a salame made primarily from goose and a bit of pork. Last Saturday, we took a drive outside the city to a small town named "Mortara." We found a small Salumeria shop which proudly produces this delightful salame. 

You'll notice in the below photo that there are a series of numbers around the goose. I learned that "Il Gioco dell'Oca" translates to "game of the goose." It is the basis of a popular European racing boardgame.  Perhaps there's some connection to the origin of "duck duck, goose?" Or perhaps not.


Throughout the drive, we actually lost count of how many blue-gray heron's we saw in the nearby farm lands. They were enjoying their hunt of small fish in the low field waters. As you can imagine I was so excited that I shouted a few times "stop! stop the car!" so I could snap some photos of the spectacular herons. :) Well unfortunately those birds can really fly away quickly. Impressive to say the least. Next time...