"Pasta per tutti"
is an Italian phrase that is used when you invite people into your home to enjoy an informal meal together. "Pasta for all." Now, we invite you to the table, so to speak, to share in our life experiences, travels and cuisine adventures!

Friday, January 28, 2011

No hesitation...

My observations of drivers in Milano:
A continuous weaving, aggressive pace, without any second thoughts. It can often sound like an orchestra of honking horns. Sounds terrible? Actually it can be quite an experience! One you'll never forget. The blur of another car, the motorbikes zipping past EACH side of you. The parade of mini, smart and micro cars combined with motorcycles, scooters, bicyclists, bus and trams. Add the occasional pedestrian into the dance. The abrupt stop and go. The hand signals and expressions of your fellow drivers. The "bumpers" are used often and every centimeter of space is utilized. My experience as a passenger was at first...tense, a bit anxious and you bet my finger prints were indented into the seat. After a month or so...you learn to relax. :) I noticed that police drive blue cars. The taxi's are white (not yellow). Bicyclists of all ages rarely wear helmets. I actually have started to say "Ah, bravo!" when I see a cyclist actually wearing one. I recently questioned how "dirt bikes" can be licensed to drive in the city...and the response I received was "that's not allowed in the U.S.?" well not that I'm aware of as I laughed. There are always a group of scooters and motorbikes who have zipped ahead of the line of cars at a traffic light, stopped, waiting...and they are all ready to go! If you find yourself halfway in a crosswalk, you might want to speed it along or you'll have a lot of unfriendly honks coming your way. It seems that mode of transportation can vary and for the most part everyone gets along pretty well. :)

My driving experience:
Most importantly "never hesitate, just drive!" and be sure that your fellow drivers do not see that you "checked your mirrors" because hesitation my friends is the moment when someone else will seize the opportunity from right beside you. I have received the occasional hand gestures and horn honking. When "honked at" it's common to honk in response. A bit of "ya ya" :) Always remember to check for the signal lights beside (not always posted up ahead). Street names are posted above on a cement placard on the corner of each block. Join the frequent round-abouts and knowing how to effectively merge. Don't be surprised if someone suddenly bolts in front of you causing you to hit the brakes sudden...it happens and often. There is no such thing as "3 car spaces between" on the autostrada (hwy)...someone will quite often zip through traffic and fill the space. I've had quite a few friends and even Italians ask me "do you drive in Milan?" and I laugh everytime. Yes and strangely I feel quite calm when doing so. Odd I know. Lastly, always always keep to the right (even if they usually don't). :)